The Color Salad Baby Blanket is a fun and easy granny square blanket with a soft, solid fabric. This free crochet pattern comes in two sizes for the stroller and the crib.
When crocheting baby blankets, safety should always be a priority. That’s why any patterns with too many holes should be avoided because the fingers of the little ones can stay trapped in the gaps of the crocheted fabric.
So, even though I love granny square blankets, I never made a classic granny square baby blanket because you know granny squares… They’ve got lots of holes!
But the granny squares that I used for my Color Salad Baby Blanket are different since they don’t have any gaps or holes even at the corners of the squares.
This crochet baby blanket pattern is colorful and fun to make, and it can also help you destash a little!
Just mix and match all the little bits of leftover yarn and crochet the cutest baby blanket.
You can customize this pattern to make a blanket of the exact size you need. Here, I wrote the instructions to make the blanket in two sizes, for a stroller and a crib.
Find more crochet patterns for babies here on the blog…
AD-FREE PRINTABLE PATTERN
- 4.0-mm (G/6 US, 8 UK) Crochet Hook
- DK (3, Light) Weight Yarn
- Tapestry Needle
I used Hobbii Amigo (191 yds / 175 m per 50 g) in the following colors and amounts:
- A – Dark Magenta (A52) – 382 yds (350 m), 2 balls
- B – Lavender (A59) – 382 yds (350 m), 2 balls
- C – Delicate Rose (A47) – 382 yds (350 m), 2 balls
- D – Vintage Pink (A49) – 191 yds (175 m), 1 ball
- E – Light Lilac (A48) – 191 yds (175 m), 1 ball
- F – Light Peach (A46) – 191 yds (175 m), 1 ball
- G – Ecru (A02) – 382 yds (350 m), 2 balls
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- BLO – Back Loop Only
- Ch – Chain
- Dc – Double Crochet
- MC – Magic Circle
- RS – Right Side
- Sc – Single Crochet
- Sl St – Slip Stitch
- Sp – Space
- St – Stitch
- Tr – Treble Crochet
- WS – Wrong Side
- Yo – Yarn over
Back Loop Only (BLO)
Learn how to crochet in the BLO HERE.
Magic Circle (MC)
Learn how to make the MC HERE.
The pattern is available in 2 sizes, for a baby blanket and a crib blanket.
- Stroller/Baby – 33″ (84 cm) by 37.5″ (95 cm)
- Crib – 37.5″ (95 cm) by 43″ (109 cm)
4 rounds of a solid square in 4″ (10 cm).
- If the pattern says “dc 2”, you have to crochet 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts.
- (…) – Repeat the instructions within round brackets for the indicated number of times.
- *… – Repeat the instructions from * for the indicated number of times.
- […] – Crochet the instructions within square brackets all in the same indicated st.
- The st count is indicated within brackets at the end of each round’s instructions.
Color Salad Baby Blanket – Free Crochet Pattern
Solid Granny Squares
For the Crib size blanket, make 90 as follows:
- 20 squares with A, B, and C;
- 10 squares with D, E, and F.
For the Baby size blanket, make 72 as follows:
- 15 squares with A;
- 18 squares with B;
- 13 squares with C;
- 9 squares with D and E;
- 8 squares with F;
Make a MC.
Round 1. Ch 2 (does NOT count as a st here and throughout). (Tr 1, dc 3) 4 times in MC, sl st in the first tr to join. (3 dc per side, 1 tr at each corner)
Round 2. Ch 2, *[dc 2, tr 1, dc 2] in first tr, dc 3. Repeat from * 4 times, sl st in the first dc to join. (7 dc per side, 1 tr at each corner)
Round 3. Ch 2, dc 2, *[dc 2, tr 1, dc 2] in next tr, dc 7. Repeat from * 3 times. [Dc 2, tr 1, dc 2] in next tr, dc 5, sl st in the first dc to join. (11 dc per side, 1 tr at each corner)
Round 4. Ch 2, dc 4, *[dc 2, tr 1, dc 2] in next tr, dc 11. Repeat from * 3 times. [Dc 2, tr 1, dc 2] in next tr, dc 7, sl st in the first dc to join. (15 dc per side, 1 tr at each corner)
Fasten off and weave in your ends.
With G, use the slip stitch method to join the squares according to the color scheme below.
YOUR crochet Color Salad Baby Blanket IS READY!
Find more free crochet patterns for babies here on the blog…