The Tunisian crochet Diagonal Lattice Stitch, or simply Lattice Stitch, is a super textured afghan stitch with a geometric, diagonal pattern.
The result is a very thick fabric, which is extremely soft and warm!
What to Crochet with the Diagonal Lattice Stitch?
The Diagonal Lattice Stitch is a solid, thick, and warm stitch, thus it is perfect for winter makes. Here are a few ideas:
- Hats and beanies
- Headbands, such as the Diagonal Lattice Headband
- Winter coats
- Ponchos (see this one for example!)
- Home decor projects, such as pillowcases, wall-hanging, baskets, etc.
Alright, before diving into the Tunisian crochet diagonal lattice stitch tutorial, check the Tunisian crochet fundamentals that you’ll need to understand this stitch:
– Yarn of choice. In this tutorial, I used Paintbox Yarns Wool Mix Aran
– Regular crochet hook without big handles. For this tutorial, I used an 8.0-mm (L/11 US, 0 UK).
Abbreviations (US Terms)
TUNISIAN CROCHET Diagonal Lattice STITCH – TUTORIAL
Make a foundation row with an odd number of stitches. For this tutorial, I made a foundation row with 13 sts.
If you need help with the foundation row, please, check out my step-by-step tutorial here.
TUNISIAN CROCHET STANDARD RETURN PASS
Once you have your stitches on your hook, make a standard return pass:
Yarn over and pull through one loop on your hook, *yarn over and pull through two. Repeat from * until you have only one loop remaining on your hook.
For more detailed instructions, you can check this free tutorial where I shared how to make the standard return pass!
Like with most Tunisian crochet patterns, skip the very first vertical bar! That first vertical bar corresponds to the loop (a.k.a. stitch) that is already on your hook at the beginning of each row!
- Step 1. Make a Tcs by inserting your hook under both the second and third vertical bars.
- Step 2. Yo and pull up a loop. Go back to the second vertical bar, and make a Tss.
- Step 3. Tcs across until you have 2 stitches left to work (one regular stitch and the last st). Then, make a Tss in the next vertical bar.
Work the last stitch by inserting your hook under both loops at the edge of the row. Yo, and pull up a loop.
Return pass. Make a standard return pass.
Tss 1, Tcs across. Work the last st as you did for Row 1.
Return pass. Make a standard Tunisian return pass.
Keep alternating Rows 1 and 2 to grow your project.
YOU JUST made your first TUNISIAN CROCHET Diagonal Lattice STITCH swatch!
I hope you found this stitch tutorial useful.
Don’t forget to show me your creations using the Diagonal Lattice Stitch by sharing them on Facebook and Instagram. If you’re sharing on Instagram, make sure to use the hashtag #raffamusadesigns so that I can find your pics and share them!
Find more Tunisian crochet stitches in my personal Tunisian Crochet Stitch Library!