Ready for some Halloween fun? Get these crochet Halloween Granny Square patterns!
What is inside the Halloween Granny Squares e-book?
1. Evil eye & Spiderweb Granny Squares
2. Spider Granny Square
3. Skull & Frankenstein Granny Squares
4. Black Granny Square
5. Witchcraft Granny Squares
6. Jack-o’-Lantern & Candy Corn Granny Squares
7. Vampire & Bat Granny Squares
8. Ghost & Haunted House Granny Squares
9. Owl Granny Square
10. Mummy Granny Square
11. Tombstone Granny Squares
Find more free crochet Halloween patterns here on the blog…
But what will you need to make your Halloween Granny Squares?
- 4.0-mm (G/6 US, 8 UK) Crochet Hook
- 3.5-mm (E/4 USA, 9 UK) Crochet Hook
- DK (3, Light) Yarn
- Tapestry Needle
SIZE & Yardage
The basic granny square pattern that we’ll be using for the Halloween Granny Squares is the Simple Circle Granny Square.
Below, you can see a table with the square size to expect depending on the different yarn weights and hook combinations!
|Yarn||Hooks*||Square Size||Yardage per square|
|3.5 mm (E/4 US, 9 UK)|
3.0 mm(C/2 US, 11 UK)
|4.0 mm (G/6 US, 8 UK)|
3.5 mm (E/4 US, 9 UK)
|4.5 mm (G/7 US, 7 UK)|
4.0 mm (G/6 US)
|Did not check, sorry!|
|5.5 mm (I/9 US, 5 UK)|
5.0 mm (H/8 US, 6 UK)
|Did not check, sorry!|
If you have trouble crocheting the basic square pattern, check the step-by-step tutorial on how to crochet the Simple Circle Granny Square on the blog HERE, or watch the video tutorial on YouTube HERE.
For my squares, I used Paintbox Yarns Simply DK, which is a very good acrylic yarn in tons of beautiful colors!
Valid alternative yarns are the ones below:
- Paintbox Yarn Baby DK – I used this for my Bumble Bee Baby Blanket and it is very soft! So, I would totally use it again for a baby blanket.
- Stylecraft Special DK Acrylic Yarn – I really like this yarn. I tried it, and sometimes, I mix it with Paintbox Yarns Simply DK if I miss a color or something.
- Deramores Studio DK Acrylic – Never used it, so I cannot say much about it. The same goes for the next one.
- King Cole Pricewise DK on LoveCrafts
But of course, you can use any yarn with the appropriate hook.
Just check the table above to see what square size to expect with different yarn weights and hook combinations.
How Much Yarn Will You Need?
This is a very difficult question because the answer depends on what you’re going to make with your squares.
To estimate the amount of yarn you’ll need, keep in mind the following things:
- You’ll need about 8 yds for the circle center of each granny square;
- and about 12 yds for squaring;
- Plus, a little extra for the appliques and decorations.
What Can You Make with Your Halloween Granny Squares?
I am going to make a pillowcase with 9 squares on each side.
The final size of the pillow will be 45 cm (17 inches) – DK yarn and a 4-mm hook – For the pillow, I simply bought a cheap one at a local store and I am going to use the stuffing of that pillow.
But you do not necessarily need to crochet a pillow. You can also make:
- a blanket,
- join a few to make a fun candy bag,
- a garland,
- potholders (if you’re using cotton yarn),
- or really anything you can think of!
Find HERE a few more ideas of things to crochet with granny squares!
I hope to see your Scary Halloween Granny Squares soon!
Find more granny square collections for you…