Have you started crocheting for Christmas?
I know that for most of the world, it is only November, but in the crochet world, it is already November!!!
It’s definitely time to leave all the fall and Halloween makes behind and switch on our Christmas mood!
So, how about some Christmas Granny Squares?
The Christmas CAL ran from Nov, 10th to Dec, 21st 2020.
Pin this post for later to make sure you’ll not miss a thing!
Last month, I even hosted my first ever CAL, the Halloween Granny Square CAL, which I really and truly enjoyed.
What is a Crochet ALong or CAL?
By the way, if you are new to the word CAL, it means Crochet ALong. So, when you join, you know that you will get little bits of one pattern (or in this case, a couple of granny squares) each time.
Christmas Granny Squares CAL
So, after the Halloween CAL was over, I knew I wanted to do something similar for Christmas.
And that’s how the Christmas Granny Squares CAL was born!
Yarn and Materials
I chose to crochet my granny squares using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK, but you can choose any equivalent yarn with a sufficient amount of colors.
Keep in mind that we are in (very) high season, and stocks might be getting short. So, you might have to check what colors are available from whatever brand.
Here are some yarn substitutions I found online:
- Schachenmayr Bravo on LoveCrafts. I have used this yarn already. It is a bit more scratchy than Paintbox Simply DK but it is good.
- Cygnet Yarns Pato Everyday DK Acrylic Yarn on Deramores. Never used, so I cannot say much about them. The same goes for the next two.
- King Cole Pricewise DK on LoveCrafts
- Stylecraft Special DK Acrylic Yarn on Deramores (I tried this yarn and it is a really good substitute!)
A bit more expensive option:
- Mighty Stitch Yarn on WeCrochet. I have used this yarn and it is extremely soft.
How Many Colors Should You Get?
Just make sure that you have a good amount of these colors:
- Red (choose your favorite Christmas red shade!). I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Rose Red (113).
- White. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Champagne White (102).
- Light and Dark Green. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Lime Green (128) and Grass Green (129).
- Light and Dark Brown. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Soft Fudge (109) and Coffee Bean (110).
- A couple of colors to crochet skin (pink, brown, red, yellow, your choice!). Some ideas from Paintbox Yarns Simply DK are Light Caramel (108), Soft Fudge (109), Coffee Bean (110), and Vintage Pink (155).
And a little bit of:
- Dark Grey, such as Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Granite Grey (106).
- Pink. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Bubblegum Pink (150).
- Yellow. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Buttercup Yellow (122).
How Much Yarn Will You Need?
This is really a difficult question to answer because it really depends on what project you want to make with your grannies.
In general, keep in mind that:
- Each square measures about 5.5″ (14 cm)
- and uses approximately 40 m/43 yds of DK yarn crocheting with a 4-mm (G/6 USA, 8 UK) crochet hook.
What to Crochet with your Christmas Granny Squares?
Granny squares are great for a number of awesome projects. Of course, the first things that come to mind are blankets, pillow covers, garlands, potholders… but that’s not all!
Recently, I collected a few ideas for awesome projects with granny squares and listed them all in this blog post.
Make sure to take a look and get some inspiration for your next granny square project! This way, you can also estimate how much yarn you’ll want to buy.
I hope you’ll enjoy crocheting these Christmas Granny Squares!
Are you looking for more Christmas crochet ideas?