With spring in full swing, it’s time to play with yarn and create all things happy and cheerful! So, let’s welcome springtime with the Spring Farm Granny Squares!
I initially shared the Spring Farm Granny Squares as part of crochet along (CAL) over e-mail. Just as I did for my Halloween CAL and Christmas CAL, the patterns were sent via e-mail to all the members of my e-mail list.
Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to receive these patterns via e-mail but you should definitely join my e-mail list to hear more about similar CALs and freebies!
Spring Farm GRANNY SQUARES
As for the previous CALs, I crocheted my granny squares using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK, but feel free to choose any equivalent yarn.
Just make sure that the color choice is wide enough so that you are not limited to a few colors.
Looking online, I found that these yarns below are good substitutes, plus they have lots of colors to choose from:
- Stylecraft Special DK Acrylic Yarn on LoveCrafts. I really like this yarn. I tried it, and sometimes, I mix it with Paintbox Yarns Simply DK if I miss a color or something.
- Schachenmayr Bravo on LoveCrafts. I have used this yarn already. It is a bit more scratchy than Paintbox Simply DK but it is good.
- Deramores Studio DK Acrylic. Never used, so I cannot say much about it. The same goes for the next one.
- King Cole Pricewise DK on LoveCrafts
A bit more expensive option:
- Mighty Stitch Yarn on WeCrochet. I have used this yarn and it is extremely soft but it tends to pilling a lot!
HOW MANY COLORS SHOULD YOU GET?
These are the colors I used:
- Green. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Lime Green (128) as the main color of my granny squares. Plus, I got some Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Grass Green (129) for some details and the duck.
- White. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Champagne White (102).
- Yellow, Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Buttercup Yellow (122).
- Browns. I am using Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Light Caramel (108), Soft Fudge (109), and Coffee Bean (110).
- Red, Paintbox Yarns Simply DK Rose Red (113).
- Orange, Blood Orange (119).
- Pinks. Bubblegum Pink (150) and Vintage Pink (151).
- One skin color (pink, brown, red, yellow, your choice!). Some ideas from Paintbox Yarns Simply DK are Light Caramel (108), Soft Fudge (109), Coffee Bean (110), and Vintage Pink (155).
- Black, Pure Black (101).
- Grey, Slate Grey (105)
HOW MUCH YARN WILL YOU NEED?
Well, it depends. It depends on what project you want to make with your grannies.
In general, keep in mind that:
- Each square measures about 5.5″ (14 cm)
- and uses approximately 40 m/43 yds of DK yarn crocheting with a 4-mm (G/6 USA, 8 UK) crochet hook.
WHAT TO CROCHET WITH YOUR Spring GRANNY SQUARES?
Granny squares are great for a number of awesome projects. Of course, the first things that come to mind are blankets, pillow covers, garlands, potholders… but that’s not all!
You can find a few more ideas for awesome projects with granny squares in this blog post.
Make sure to take a look and get some inspiration for your next granny square project! This way, you can also estimate how much yarn you’ll want to buy.
I HOPE YOU’LL ENJOY CROCHETING THESE Spring Farm GRANNY SQUARES!
Are you looking for more Spring crochet ideas?