The crochet Scrappy Dots Potholder is a colorful pattern that will bring so much color into your kitchen decor!
This potholder is the perfect project to mix and match all your leftover cotton and create your own unique confetti color scheme.
And the result is a super colorful potholder, which is fun to make and to use in the kitchen!
Find more fun crochet patterns for the kitchen decor here…
AD-FREE PRINTABLE PATTERN
- 3.0-mm (C USA, 11 UK) Hook
- DK (3, Light) Weight Cotton Yarn
- Tapestry Needle
YARN & YARDAGE
I used Paintbox Yarns Cotton DK in the following colors:
- Champagne White (403)
- Peach Orange (455)
- Blush Pink (454)
- Bubblegum Pink (451)
- Washed Teal (433)
- Marine Blue (434)
- Dolphin Blue (437)
- Kingfisher Blue (435)
- Lime Green (429)
- Grass Green (430)
- Slate Green (427)
- Buttercup Yellow (423)
- Mustard Yellow (424)
- Blood Orange (420)
- Rose Red (414)
- Red Wine (416)
Abbreviations (US Terms)
Ch – Chain
Hdc – Half Double Crochet
Inc – Increase
Dc – Double Crochet
MC – Magic Circle
Sc – Single Crochet
RS – Right Side
Sk – Skip
Sl St – Slip Stitch
St – Stitch
WS – Wrong Side
Yo – Yarn Over
One increase consists of 2 sts made into the same indicated st.
Magic Circle (MC)
Learn how to make a magic circle or adjustable ring with this step-by-step photo tutorial HERE.
6.2” (16 cm).
1 scrappy dot mini square in 1.2″ (3 cm).
- If the pattern says “dc 2”, it means that you have to crochet 1 dc into each of the next 2 sts.
- (…) – Repeat the instruction within brackets for the indicated number of times.
- […] – Crochet the instructions within brackets all into the same indicated st.
- *… – Repeat the instruction from * for the indicated number of times.
Scrappy Dots Potholder – Free Crochet Pattern
Scrappy Dot Mini-Square
With a color of choice, make a MC.
Round 1. Ch 2 (does NOT count as a st), dc 12 in MC, join with a sl st into first st. (12 sts)
Join Champagne White (403) in any st of round 1.
Round 2. Ch 1 (does NOT count as a st), hdc 1 in same st as joining. ([Hdc 1, dc 2, hdc 1] in next st, hdc 2) 3 times, [hdc 1, dc 2, hdc 1] in next st, hdc 1, join with a sl st into first st. (24 sts)
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Following the color chart below, join the scrappy dot mini squares. First, join all the squares row after row in one direction, and then, join the squares in the opposite direction.
- Step 1. Attach Champagne White (403) with a sl st in the most external dc of the bottom, right corner of square 1 (or bottom left corner if you are left-handed).
- Step 2. Insert hook into inner dc of top, right corner of square 2 (or top left corner if you are left-handed), yo, draw yarn through both loops on hook.
- Step 3. Insert hook into next st on square 2, yo, pull up a loop (2 loops on hook).
- Step 4. Insert hook into next st on square 1, yo, pull yarn through both loops on hook.
- Step 5. Repeat steps 3-4 until you joined the most external dc at the top left corner of square 2 and the inner dc at the bottom left corner of square 1.
- Step 6. Join the next 2 squares starting from the inner dc at the top, right corner of square 3, and the most external dc at the bottom, right corner of square 4.
Join Champagne White (403) in any st.
Round 1. Sc in each st all around (7 sts per square: from inner dc at the starting corner to external dc at the ending corner). At the corners, sc inc in each dc. (37 sts per side)
Fasten off and weave in your ends.
Join color of choice in the first sc of the second inc at any corner.
Round 2. *Sc inc 1, sc 35, sc inc 1. Close the last st with a new color of choice, and repeat from * all around.
Fasten off and weave in all your ends.
WS facing, join Champagne White (403) in last st in one given color.
Ch 20, sl st into first st in next color (photo D). Ch 1, turn to RS.
Row 1. Sc inside the loop you just created until you fill it completely (photos E-F).
Note. You need to crochet inside the loop and not into the chains!
Fasten off and weave in your ends.
Your crochet Scrappy Dots Potholder is ready!
Find more free crochet patterns here on the blog…