Learn how to crochet a 3 treble cluster stitch (3-tr cluster or 3-tr cl) or if you use UK crochet terminology, a 3 double treble cluster stitch (3-dtr cluster).
Last week, I was making a few Daisy Granny Squares and I realized that even though these squares are extremely easy, crochet beginners might find it challenging to make a 3-tr cluster.
What is a Cluster stitch?
In crochet, a cluster stitch is one stitch made by working 2 or more stitches together.
For a cluster stitch, you’ll tipically use double crochet or treble crochet stitches, and the pattern will specify which stitch to use and how many stitches your cluster should have.
So, for example, a 2-tr cluster consists of 2 treble stitches closed togehter, while a 3-tr cluster consists of 3 treble stitches closed together.
It follows that crochet bobbles are also clusters made with 5 double crochet stitches!
Treble decrease Vs 3-Tr cluster
The key difference between a treble decrease and treble crochet cluster is that in the decrese all the stitches that you’ll close together are worked in consecutive stitches of the previous row/round.
On the other hand, for a treble crochet cluster, the treble stitches that you’ll close together are all worked in the same stitch.
In this quick tutorial, we’ll see how to crochet a cluster made with 3 treble crochet stitches.
However, once you understand how clusters work, you can easily crochet any cluster that the pattern requires!
Abbreviations (US Terms)
Ch – Chain
St – Stitch
Tr – Treble Crochet
Yo – Yarn Over
Crochet 3-Treble Cluster Stitch – Short Pattern
Yo twice, insert your hook in the indicated st, yo and pull up a loop. (Yo, pull through 2 loops on your hook) twice, *yo twice, insert hook in same st, yo and pull up a loop, (yo, pull through 2 loops on your hook) twice. Repeat from * twice, yo, pull through all 4 loops on your hook.
Crochet 3-Treble Cluster Stitch – Step-by-Step Tutorial
- Step 1 – Yo twice and insert your hook in the indicated st (indicated by the arrow in photo 1).
- Step 2 – Yo and pull up a loop.
- Step 3 – (Yo, pull through 2 loops on your hook) twice (2 loops on your hook).
- Step 4 – yo twice and insert your hook in the same st (indicated by the arrow in photo 4).
- Step 5 – Yo and pull up a loop.
- Step 6 – (Yo, pull through 2 loops on your hook) twice (3 loops on your hook).
- Step 7 – yo twice and insert your hook in the same st (indicated by the arrow in photo 7).
- Step 8 – Yo and pull up a loop, (yo, pull through 2 loops on your hook) twice (4 loops on your hook).
- Step 9 – Yo and pull through all 4 loops on your hook.
Your crochet 3-treble cluster Stitch is ready!
I hope that you enjoyed this stitch tutorial, and I am looking forward to seeing your creations using the 3-tr cluster! Show me your projects on Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #raffamusadesigns
Find more crochet stitch tutorials here on the blog…